The 47-year-old actor has taken to Instagram to voice his support for his former ‘Saved by the Bell’ co-star, whose team recently revealed has has been diagnosed with a stage four form of the disease.
Alongside some throwback photos with his former co-star, Mario – who played A.C. Slater on the sitcom – wrote: “I connected with Dustin earlier this evening and although the news of his diagnosis is heartbreaking, we remain positive that he’ll overcome this. Praying for him & his family and for a speedy recovery. God Bless. (sic)”
News of Dustin’s cancer diagnosis was revealed on Thursday (14.01.21), when the actor’s team released a statement via Facebook and promised to reveal “more information once it is available”.
In the statement, the team said: “At this time, we can confirm Dustin does have cancer. [He] will disclose more information once it is available and a plan moving forward is made.”
The team asked that “everyone respect Dustin’s privacy during this difficult time”.
The statement added: “All positivity and prayers are appreciated.”
A spokesperson for the actor called the diagnosis “serious” and confirmed it was stage four, but explained Dustin is still undergoing tests in hospital and will be there “for a while”.
The representative added: “He’s undergoing chemo so he will be there at least another week and then we will figure out when he gets to come home.
“By next week, we’ll have a much better understanding of the severity of his condition and what treatments he will need so that he’s comfortable.”
Dustin is said to be feeling “fine” at the moment, a significant improvement on when he was admitted to hospital.
The spokesperson said: “He was fading in and out, feeling sleepy and tired. On top of all this he also has shingles, so he’s been in a lot of pain.”
Another representative for the actor explained his issues began with “a huge lump on his throat.”